Monday, August 21, 2017

The Tea Planter's Wife

Title: The Tea Planter's Wife
Author: Dinah Jefferies
Page Count: 413
Chapter Count: 35 plus a prologue
Format: Paperback
Published: 2015
Publisher: Broadway Books
ISBN: 978-0-451-49598-3

Summary: In this lush, atmospheric page-turner, nineteen-year-old Gwendolyn Hooper has married Laurence, the seductively mysterious owner of a vast tea empire in the colonial Ceylon, after a whirlwind romance in London. When she joins him at his faraway tea plantation, she's filled with hope for their life together, eager to take on the role of mistress of the house, learn the tea business, and start a family. But life in Ceylon is not what Gwen expected. The plantation workers are resentful, the neighbors and her new sister-in-law treacherous. Gwen finds herself drawn to a local Sinhalese man of questionable intentions and worries about her new husbands connection to a brash American businesswoman. But most troubling are the unanswered questions surrounding Laurence's first marriage. Why won't anyone discuss the fate of his first wife? Who's buried in the unmarked grave in the forest? As the darkness of her husband's past emerges, Gwen is forced to make a devastating choice, one that could destroy their future and Gwen's chance at happiness.

Review: This book is absolutely wonderful. I love the rich vivid history of it. When reading it takes you into the store and on to the plantation in Ceylon. You can definitely imagine living back in that time and everything that happens to Gwen. I really enjoyed this book and I think anyone that reads it will as well. I would definitely read anymore of Dinah Jefferies books. This book was absolutely spellbinding and very descriptive.

Rating: I would give this book 3 stars. I think it deserves three because its just so well written and in my world 3 is equivalent to five because I use the Michelin Star rating system. You can find out all the info you need to know on my rating system here and you can also find out about my blog and other info on this page here. I hope you guys are enjoying this and i'm so sorry its taken me forever to update.

Disclaimer: I would like to thank Blogging For Books for the chance to read and review this book. I really enjoyed it.

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting!! Also what a unique rating system you have. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am kicking myself for not taking this book when it was offered to me. Thanx for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign up for blogging for books. That's where I got it

      Delete
  3. Awesome review. Your rating system sounds really intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love historical romance and Ceylon used to be my neighbouring country. I really like the premise of the story. I might take a look into it. In fact I am just heading to Blogging for books to check if it is still on the ARC list

    Gayathri @ Musings Over Nothing

    ReplyDelete

Esme's wish

Guys i changed blog addreses so if you would like to see the post, please go to https://slytherinbooklady.wordpress.com/2018/05/24/esmes-wis...