Monday, August 21, 2017

Library of A TwentySomethings World: Review of This is Just My Face Try Not To Stare

This Is Just My Face Try Not To Stare by Gabourey Sidibe

Back Cover Synopsis:

           Gabourey Sidibe - the Oscar-nominated Precious star and Empire actress - has a voice like no other. She is wise, complex, smart and funny - just as likely to make you cry with laughter as to see the world differently. In This Is Just My Face, she shares a one-of-a-kind life story in a voice as fresh and challenging as many of the unique characters she's played onscreen. With full-throttle honesty, Sidibe paints her family life growing up with a polygamous father and a gifted mother who supports her two children by singing in the subway. Sidibe tells the engrossing, inspiring story of her first job as a phone-sex "talker." And she shares her unconventional (of course!) rise to fame as a movie star in Precious, alongside "a superstar cast of rich people who lived in mansions and had their own private islands and amazing careers while I lived in my mom's apartment."
           Sidibe's memoir hits hard with clear-eyed dispatches on friendship, depression, haters, celebrity, fashion, race, and weight. Irreverent, hilarious, and untraditional. This Is Just My Face will resonate with anyone ho has ever felt different, and with anyone who has ever felt inspired to make a dream come true.

Kristen's Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Kristen's Review:

What I liked:

  • I really enjoyed the level of honesty that Gabby added to her memoir, it seems that nothing embarrassing, or otherwise was left out.
  • This memoir was very funny, I laughed at the sarcasm and jokes that peppered the pages, all while it handled some very challenging experiences. 
  • I applaud Gabby for going after what she wanted and think that her story is an amazing one that played out in a roundabout way to achieving her dreams.
  • I liked the way the text read with realism for the struggles her and her family encountered while she was young all the way through being a poor movie star. 
  • I think that her story is an inspiring one, that makes me as a reader reappraise my life and my dreams.
What I didn't like:
  • Is there really a way to dislike someone's honest story? Not really, I did not dislike this book. 
Overall, I really enjoyed the wit and sarcasm that accompanied this memoir. It is also the reason that I decided to pick up and read Push by Sapphire, which was completely worth it (despite its explicitness). I think this book is good for readers looking for inspiration and validation for themselves. Gabby's confidence is contagious and can teach many self-conscious readers to love themselves.

Followed By: This is a stand alone, but I would be interested in reading any further books that Gabby publishes in the future.

If you liked this try: Push by Sapphire

Genre(s): Memoir, Non-Fiction

Perfect Tea Pairing: Pina Colada, a rooibos tea with pineapple and coconut pieces, this is one relaxing drink. Purchase it here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh awesome! I didn't know she wrote a book. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete

Esme's wish

Guys i changed blog addreses so if you would like to see the post, please go to https://slytherinbooklady.wordpress.com/2018/05/24/esmes-wis...